If you follow me on social media you would have noticed that this month my team had the opportunity to go to High Point Furniture Market. If you don’t know what furniture market is, let me tell you, if you are a designer or design enthusiast, it’s like being a kid in a candy store. You are surrounded by the latest and greatest furnishings, accessories, artwork, textiles, and technology the furniture and design world has to offer. There are beautiful things as far as the eye can see (and of course a few things that are pushing the boundaries between good design and completely way too out there). You also have the opportunity to attend seminars and workshops put on the by many talented, creative, successful designers, manufacturers and editors from the world of design (which, of course, we took advantage of!). It is a rejuvenating, creativity-sparking, exhausting and motivating event and I love going once a year to get my fix! I would like to share with you a few of the trends that I can see coming into the design world in the next couple of years, based on what we saw during market:
- Brass is still going strong. Antique brass that is, though I did see that shiny brass is trying to make a comeback as well (we’ll see).
- Unique, funky, all-the-way-out-there lighting is all the rage. Lighting right now is like the jewelry to the outfit. The wilder, more unique, the better.
- Pastels, pastels, pastels, particularly pink and baby blue. It’s in art and textiles everywhere.
- It’s all about the hand. Textiles and rugs are getting softer, cushier, smoother and are feeling amazing. Velvet and velvet-like fabrics are everywhere. Soft, luxurious, faux fur is still making waves.
- Designing with pets in mind seemed to be very prominent throughout market. Leather and other uniquely made pet beds, animal portraits and pet friendly-fabrics seemed to be everywhere.
Some visual highlights:
An adorable dog portrait vendor’s offerings
The yummiest accent pillow display ever!
Our first stop was the Crypton Home event at Universal to the Trade where we got to play with this gorgeous pup!
Whitney found adorable, and very pink, faux fur pouf and accent pillows and fell in love.